Wednesday, August 02, 2006

HAIGHT ASHBURY: n. One of my favorite places in the world. STEPHANIE MINER. n. One of my favorite people in the world


Monday was quite an eventful day. My best friend/roomie for 2 years/half marathon partner/march madness fellow aficionado/really just all around great gal Steph ran the SF marathon sunday morning. She did AWESOME and I wasn't there to see it. :-( I'm retarded when it comes to getting gas...grrr...anyway but we got to hang out Sunday night at my house when she and her sister came down to Atherton for a little mango salmon dinner and hot tub action. Then Monday we planned our SF day complete with a trip to the Haight Ashbury district and Chinatown. Let me tell you, I discovered the haight ashbury district my senior year of high school...i LOVE it. There have been a couple stores that have gone out of business since then, but mostly haight ashbury gets better and better everytime I go. The other great part about haight ashbury is that i discovered the clothing exchanges...and I've always brought up clothes to sell. It works out quite well for the wallet...well...I mean not like I ever come out even...haha. Anyway.

FIRST STOP. Wasteland. Wasteland is chock full o' amazing clothes. Seriously. The girl who looked at the clothes that I was selling was wearing a bright pink tube top with yellow leggings and lots of tattoos and black hair cut into a mullet. No joke. Anyway, I've gotten some good stuff from wasteland in the past but for some reason I wasn't into digging around at the moment, and instead sold them 50 bucks worth of my clothes. woo hoo! It pays to get cheapo marc jacobs knock off purses from your evil stepmother for christmas. haha.

SECOND STOP. Villians. Now here is a store that when I walk in, I know I'm going to buy something. There really aren't too many stores like this...actually Villians is the only one I can think of. I don't go to villians often enough and when I do, I know there is something in there that I can't possibly live without. Im definitely trying to scale back the ole' clothes closet, but in this store, I knew I couldn't help myself. I got a new watch...my first nixon. :-) I needed a watch ever since I ran from Park St T stop to Charles/MGH on a hot saturday afternoon to sail w/ friends...we were super late and I hit my wrist on the footbridge guardrail and then it snapped my watch off...sadness. Anyway...so I love this new one. I even took a pic for all to see. :-)
















And the coolest part is that it flips so that it looks like a bracelet too! Once the sales guy showed me that, I knew it was the watch for me. :-)


I also found this tshirt. It made me so happy. I say boo yah a lot. haha. When I brought it home and showed my mom she said, "Oh, I thought you were the only one that said boo yah. I guess not." It was quite hysterical.


STOP THREE. Asquew. The best kabobs i've ever had, right on haight. SO GOOD. They have bbq chicken, thai chicken, east west shrimp, crab, lamb...etc etc all on a really good beet salad or jasmine rice or garlic mashed potatoes...this place rocks. I opted for the balsamic beef and so did steph while jane had the thai chicken.

STOP FOUR. Bang-On T-shirts. Besides having the coolest shop name EVER, this place is pretty much my fav on Haight. You get to pick out an iron on decal or spell something out and they iron it on for you on a brand spankin new american apparel tshirt. *sigh* Last year I made a purple tshirt w/ an andy warhol banana on the bottom...you've probably seen me wear it considering its my FAVORITE SHIRT OF ALL TIME. Anyway, this time I opted for a BANG from a gun...wrapping around the bottom of a hot pink shirt. And I love it. Again. I even took a pic... :-)
FRONT

BACK

SIDE VIEW


STOP SEVEN. Yak Pak. Okay so I skipped a few stops, but there are a lot of shops there...haha. Anyway, I got this awesome oversized shoulder tote for my laptop and law books in the fall. I want to try out something different than the ole' north face wasatch that I've been using for 11 years. IT has this print that you can't see very well thats awesome...its a bunch of birds on one line...it reminds me of hitchcock's the birds...kinda creepy but really cool. Oh and I took a pic. haha

So all in all, a very successful trip. I didn't even buy a pair of shoes...a minor miracle. I showed some restraint.


After all that fun Steph, Jane and I headed back to their aunt's house to regroup and then head off to dim sum w/ her aunt and uncle. Her aunt's house is AMAZING. Its right by the presidio and on one of the nicest streets in SF. Its a huge house and it has a view of the golden gate. I'm pretty much in love with it. After a delicious meal we headed to Chinatown in search of the infamous fortune cookie factory. This place has been operating out of a back door alley for years...i remember going to it when I was really little! These old chinese ladies sit there all day folding forture cookies. As Jane said, "it makes me really happy and really sad at the same time." Jane got a couple good pics of the ladies and when she sends them my way I'll post em. So we had some fresh fortune cookies and I bought some to bring home. We then moseyed around chinatown and found some cheapo SF t-shirts. Twas very fun. It was so sad to say goodbye to steph and jane...I love them so much!


China town with the transamerica building behind it...i love it!


Steph and me in front of the front of chinatown.

2 comments:

ANJ said...

girlfriend, you have a great life. i want a watch like that!

kt said...

dang, I love the Haight! Can we go sometime? PLEASE.