Thursday, July 20, 2006

Realizations.






1. I don't miss law school at all. I actually erased most of my first year memories from my brain. I think that's a pyschological thing...where something was so bad your brain tries to purge it from your long-term memory bank. I'm serious. I came to this realization that I'm so much happier not being at law school everyday. You know, last year really did suck. A lot. I learned a lot and I found most of my classes interesting, but my whole life was lopsided. All I did was study and I felt miserable about it. One of my friends, Michael, before he left for New York told me that I looked so much happier, that I had transformed throughout the year. He literally said, "Your energy is so much different now. You look great!" I told him it was because I wasn't stressed all the time anymore. He agreed.

So yesterday, law school memories faded back as we heard about who go on law review and who got on what journal. At 2:30 pm my friend Cheryl imed me and told me she made law review. A sense of panic then set in...what if I didn't make a journal? Law review people were getting calls and I didn't have my cell phone on me yesterday. I was frantic. And again all those feelings of "I'm not good enough" crept in. Law school messes with your mind! I haven't had my self-esteem tied to school work since high school. Its quite a horrible feeling. Anyway, so I went home early once I told the attorneys in the office that I forgot my cell phone and people were hearing from journals. But I had NO missed calls! I freaked out again. Once I got home I knew I had to go on a run to keep myself sane. And yesterday's weather was so awesome...no humidity! It felt like CA weather I was so loving it! Hmmm...Tangent.

...back to forgetting about law school. So last night when celebrating making law review and the american medical association law journal, susan and I caught up on a little law school news. I had completely forgotten about my horribly terrifying constitutional law professor, maclin. Susan apologized profusely for reminding me about him, but I take this as a really good sign that I'm letting go of the "i'm so scarred for life" events that transpired over the course of last year. And it makes me happy that i feel free right now! Now the big question is...how to keep my sanity through next year...starting Sept....*sigh*. Suggestions?

2. I love paintings. Especially impressionist ones. After my run and shower I booked it out the door to meet my friend Jessica at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. The museum's permanent collection is AMAZING and right now they are having a special exhibit that is traveling nationwide called "Americans in Paris". I know I say amazing a lot, but this is amazing. One of my favorite artists is Mary Cassatt. She was the only American to show with the impressionists in the salon des refuses in the late 1800s. The exhibit showed many of her paintings, ones I had never seen before!




This one is one of my favorites of hers, displayed in the national gallery and now in the MFA! You have to see it in person, the brushstrokes and colors are so vivid. Besides being so excited about the Mary Cassatt paintings, I walked into the second large room and *gasp* they had whistler's mother on the wall. My first thought was, oh that can't be the original, it must be a study for the original or something. Whistler's Mother is one of the most famous paintings in the world and itwas hanging right there in the MFA. I couldn't believe it. Plus, it usually hangs in the Orsay with the likes of Renoir, Degas, Monet, Pissarro, Toulouse Lautrec, Van Gogh, and Cezanne. And the Orsay rarely lends out their stuff. I sauntered over to the wall and read the plaque and was still in shock when I saw that it truly was Whistler's Mother, on loan from the musee d'orsay.

If you haven't seen this exhibit...GO! I think its on its way to the Met when it closes Sept 24 here in Boston.

And again, I thought about my dream job as being an art restorer. Maybe in a couple years I'll move to London.

3. I'm not a big fan of Finale, the dessert place. Yeah, it was a delightful molten chocolate cake. But I paid $10.95 for crappy service and to sit in a freezing cold restaurant for it. As my friend Corey said, "and so you would have rather had a butterscotch dip cone, huh?" Exactly. But I still had a blast with my friends Susan, Jessica, and Riva. My sweet tooth isn't that sophisicated. Heck, I polished off my eleven dollar molten chocolate cake with a freaking watermelon flavored blow pop. And I left the wrapper on the table. How's that for high class?

3 comments:

jocie said...

whit-
rather than comment on this specific post, i'd rather comment on your whole blog since i just found it through amber today. i love it. i love your taste in music, and i love your writing style. see! i KNEW we were meant to be friends!
-jocelyn

ANJ said...

yay, i´m glad to be connecting my favorite girls up and down the east coast. i was going to mention how glad i am that you have been posting more regularly. my other fellow bloggers have been slacking, i must say. keep it up :)

k8 said...

i hate to get all mushy on you whit and i know you would be a brilliant lawyer but...following your heart and doing the thing that inspires you is something to really consider when you think about what you want to do with your life. i can SO see you working in a museum and talking about art all day long and if that is what would truly make you happy-maybe you should give it some serious thought.