Monday, July 17, 2006

Let's Talk Music

A couple issues ago in InStyle, Debra Messing talked about how she loved to make lists. Now, I'm not a huge fan of lists. To Do lists sometimes make me feel good. But most of the time they dont. The things that are on To Do lists for me often take a long time to get accomplished, and I hate not being able to get things crossed off. There is something wrong with the world when I've worked on something so long or thought about it awhile, and I just can't cross it off a list b/c its not done. Sorry. That was a tangent. Anyway but I've been thinking about how great lists are for organization purposes. I'm super into being organized as of Friday, when my friend Chris came over and helped organize my room. I can't tell you how much better I feel sleeping in there. I LOVE it. Its like it changed the feng shui or something. Anyway. So I've been thinking I've wanted to post something about music on my blog for a while. And I've been forming lists in my head. So here it is.

Bands I'm obsessed with at the moment...

Spoon. Hails from Austin, TX. I'm seriously obsessed with Gimme Fiction. Thanks to the bro for introducing me to them. And thank goodness they'll be playing at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley when i'm home in august. Their lyrics don't make sense to me. They're cryptic. Thats why I love them, really. And why and I always late getting on the scene for bands like this?
Whit suggests: The Beast and Dragon, Adored and I Turn My Camera On

Snow Patrol. From Scotland. I saw these guys live for the first time back in March (?). I thought i was obsessed before I saw them live. After I saw them then I become really obsessed. They just released their newest disc in June -- Eyes Open. They're becoming wildly famous b/c of putting their songs on Greys Anatomy and I don't really know how I feel about that. I'm always a sucker for small club shows and when my fav bands get big it makes me kind of sad. They start playing big arenas and their songs get overplayed on the radio. But then again, thats sometimes the bands measure for success. Final Straw and Eyes Open simply rock. There simply aren't many bands where their songs actually truly describe something Iv'e felt and/or been through but snow patrol is one of them. And I get to see snow patrol again Aug. 15th. Hurrah.
Whit suggets: Spitting Games and Shut Your Eyes

The Raconteurs. I've loved the White Stripes for a couple years now so when I heard Jack White was starting up another full band, I was excited to hear it. After listening to Steady, As She Goes on iTunes, I eagerly awaited to get the full album. Thanks to Ms. Cooper, and the advent of my brothers birthday, i received a copy and instantly became obsessed. Jack White is a genius. Having a full band behind him doesn't hurt. And I get to see them in September. And they're playing at Lollapalooza...yesss.
Whit suggests: Hands and Level

Wilco. I really can't talk about this band because nothing I say conveys the awesome power of their albums. Once again, I discovered them late and through my brother. Yankee Foxtrot Hotel is a masterpiece. I can't wait to finish watching the documentary about them.
And I was supposed to see them at Lollapalooza until they decided to play on Sunday! Boo!
Whit suggests: All of Yankee Foxtrot Hotel

Bands I'm Starting to be obsessed with...

Matt Pond PA. I haven't gone into full obsession, though I saw them live and they rocked.

Stars. Set Yourself on Fire is probably the best album title I've heard in awhile.

Youth Group.

Phoenix.

Keane.

You know what...there will be many more music posts on this blog. So get used to it.

Also. I'm quite protective of my music. I think its b/c i feel like its a little part of me. ANyway, I don't just give it away willy-nilly. I think posting info about who I'm obsessed with doesn't count as giving music away.

3 comments:

ANJ said...

whitney darling. five things:

1. i love lists.
2. i love your music. and wonder if your post was in any way a response to my blatant plea for whitney music in my life. i´ve been loving the cd you made for me.
3. i love that you linked to wikipedia. that is so you
4. i love that you have a blog now!
5. i love you!

k8 said...

i have been listening to Stars so much lately I think I have a toothache. If you ever get a chance to see them live-DO. One of my favorite shows ever. They are so adorable it hurts.

CoCo said...

FYI - and I'm sure you "already have your tickets" but Raconteurs are playing at Lupos on 9/28 and Orpheum on 9/29 - I suggest Lupo's if you can. Providence is GREAT!