Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Its about...time

I've been thinking about this blog post for about a year (at various points in time during a year, not every consecutive second during a year, I think about a lot of other stuff too you know). I wanted to make a list of my top5 favorite live shows I've ever seen. Everytime I thought about a great concert, I wanted to blog about it. Today during my run I thought...I should finally write about this and post it.

Sorry I can't quite narrow it to a top 5. I'll give you a list of all of my favorites in order. The ranking rubric isn't exactly scientific, but I took into account venue, stage presence, set list, how much I listened to the album before the show, audience, people I went to the show with, interactions with the band, personality, opening bands, lighting, how many times I took out my earplug to hear the true sound of guitars, and how elated I was after the show.

15. Weezer. E-Center. September 01. Right after the green album came out and my freshman year at BYU. My one and only time seeing them. Venue wasn't great, but I still had fun.
14. Eve 6. X96 show. Sept. 04. My one and only time seeing one of my favorite bands from high school. I still think Horrorscope is incredible. Although it was outside and there were a lot of people, it was still great to see them live.
13. My Morning Jacket. Avalon. Dec. 06. Rocked a long set.
12. U2 Popmart Tour. Kingdome. Dec. 98 (I think...) A sight to behold. Truly.
11. Matt Pond PA/Dios Malos. Paradise. Feb. (maybe) 06. It wasn't crowded and Matt Pond PA was personable and great to hear live.
10. Broken Social Scene. Avalon. Nov. 05. At one point they had 8 guitars at once. Simply amazing. Stars and Sons live was definitely the highlight.
9. Nada Surf. Oct. 05. Paradise. Shortly after moving to Boston, one of the first concerts I went to at Paradise. I was so obsessed with The Weight is a Gift, I had it on repeat for weeks before and after the show.
8. U2 Elevation Tour. Salt Lake City Delta Center. Oct. 01. After 9/11, it changed the show. I saw them in San Jose in May 01. I had floor tickets and saw Bono up close. Pretty much a childhood dream. I was also on the local news because I camped out to get inside the "heart".
7. Rogue Wave. I went by myself and after a high from the red sox parade day, it was a perfect way to end a perfect day. It wasn't crowded and to hear them live gave me the chills.
6. Minus the Bear. Middle East. October 05. I went by myself and got there way early to get a spot right in the front. After standing there for 4 hours Minus came on. It was right after Menos El Oso came out, and I knew the words to every song they played. I was about the only person in the crowd that knew every song. I think the band was a tad weirded out. Mostly because I was front and center. Got a setlist after and really couldn't have been happier. (there have now been a bunch of times I've seen Minus, and I still love the 2 i've included in this list the most)
5. LCD Soundsystem. Lollapalooza. Aug. 07. Didn't love their album before, but live they turned it into a masterpiece. I've never seen so many people dancing.
4. Snow Patrol. Paradise. March 06. Before the official tour, they played a couple random concerts before Eyes Open was officially released. I don't think I've ever loved a band so much. (too bad they sounded horrible the second time around, 6 months later at a horrible venue with horrible fans. it was all just really horrible. plus they got way too much radioplay for chasing cars, which I really can't stand)
3. The Strokes. In the Venue. Winter 04. Right after Room on Fire came out. Mike and I fought our way to the front. They played Reptilla and it was crazy. (I can't really describe the feeling...I think this is a common theme here.) It took me a while to come down off the concert high after this one. The lighting for Strokes shows in incredible. And I love their stage presence.
2. Minus the Bear. Kilby Court. Spring 04. First time I saw them in concert. (I've seen them 4 times since) Before Menos El Oso came out. They played Drilling before it came out and it was one of my favorite songs I've ever heard live. Ever. And I got a drum stick afterwards.
1. Cold War Kids. Middle East. March 07. Nuts. Crazy energy. Amazing vocals. 10 people to help out with percussion on St. Johns. Tell me in the Morning and Rubidoux have never sounded that good. The crowd was great. I can't even really describe it.

And there is one band that I must see live before I die. Radiohead. I'm pretty sure they'll knock someone out of the top 10, even if I see them in a big venue.

UPDATE: I totally forgot to add BECK. San Jose Arts Center. July 05. He started out with guitar, went to percussion, and played everything in between. LOVED him. And he had some really clever sets. It was shortly after Guero came out which is still one of my favorite albums of his. I just love him. I guess I would place this concert in between 6 & 7. Although its a tough call...

5 comments:

Mike Lau said...

Minus at Kilby was simply amazing! I still get chills thinking about the first time I heard Drilling.

CoCo said...

That Matt Pond PA show will forever remain in my top 10 list(and yes I am biased - but when I yelled Halloween and he pointed to me followed by a head nod and then played the song ... well, let's just say cue the pee streaming down my leg in excitement!)

Linda said...

I still kick myself for not going with you to rogue wave... I love your list! someone asked me the other day what my favorite concert has been and I'm still thinking about it. I may steal some of your variables.

Whits said...

Coco -- I had forgotten about that! I think you tear up when that happpened. :) That was truly amazing and that is one of the best songs ever.

Mike -- Drilling. Oh drilling.

Linda -- Can't wait to see your list!

k8 said...

that broken social scene show was sooo fantastic1