Sunday, December 03, 2006

Deck the Halls with Ugly Christmas Sweaters

Last year I had so much fun at my own ugly christmas sweater party, I decided this year to continue the tradition. Plus, its the perfect excuse to play "Last Christmas" by Wham over and over again. Little did I know that the quality of sweaters would jump ten fold. Seriously. I handed out a few prizes, but I really wished I had more. There were multiple sweaters that went unsung...it was a great showing by all.

The components that make up an ugly christmas sweater:

Large size + christmas scene + needle work + gregarious colors = one fun time.

I was so stresed that day since our gas was turned off earlier in the week and we had failed to get a technician out to turn it back on. My wassail was highly touted the year before and I couldn't let my fans down. Thankfully at 230 pm, the gas man came out and switched our gas back on. Also, my christmas sweater I ebayed had not arrived and the day before I found out that the woman I bought it from sent it parcel post. Which did not make me very happy. I figured Iwould have to wear one of my puffy paint backups. Which was fine, I just had wished I didn't buy an ugly christmas sweater for the party if I wasn't going to wear it. But lo and behold, my sweater arrived with the batch of USPS mail at 6 pm. Thank goodness! And the wassail turned out really well. Phew.
And the weather that day was really crappy, but it turned out to be warm just in time to use the roof deck. :)

My first guest, Susan. Here I am with her fixing my tree earring.


Susan walked into a vintage store and asked for something ugly. This is what she came out with.


Bryce showed up with out a sweater. And apologized. Little did he know i would have extras on hand for the peeps that thought they could get away with an apology.

Dave Alba. Hilarious. And you can see my hanging advent calendar above his head.

We were on the roofdeck and Lauren had a camera. I put my arm around Dave and he thought I was making a move. Not true. I just had to get a pic of the blue spandex.


Here's me getting rid of the egg nog. I still have a quart or so left. Everyone is invited to the party in my refrigerator so that someone will drink it all besides me.

Cyrus and Lauren. Two of my favorite people.

Although this doesn't show the genius displayed by his homemade ugly christmas sweater, I just had to post this b/c of the grin.



Geoff made up for his poor showing last year with this little number. It reminded me of a scene from Zelda meets Mario. Actually, more like that video game Tom Hanks plays in BIG. What was the name of that?


Aww...the Lewis sisters. They bought theirs on clearance at K-Mart. I was so proud. They were AMAZING. And totally soccer mom or grandma like.


Another view of those great sweaters. LOVED Carolina's as well.


Charlotte and Rachel did a fantabulous job of picking out theirs as well. Check out the earrings.


Riva's was truly ugly. And she brought us a figgy pudding. Which I had never had, but now I won't go until I get some.

This was supposed to be a picture of the two large tree sweaters. But they both weren't looking at the camera. oh well.

Carolyn and Sarah told me their outfits were going to be great. I was still overwhelmed at the sight of them walking in. They had turtlenecks, belts, leggings, vests, earrings, necklaces, and even bandanas. Most people called them pirate outfits. I saw the bandanas and thought "ghettofabulous".


I love Dave's reaction in this pic. Bryson's was pretty good too because the label said "Liz Claiborne".


Check out the socks folks.

Charlotte sandwiched in the middle of the ghetto fabulous girls.


Dave in the thick of things.



Jordan undearneath the mistletoe. I placed two bunches of mistletoe under two different door ways. But no one used them. That was the one failure of the party.


Bryce in my puff paint christmas sweatshirt.



Whitney Blair in a marvelous Christmas vest that was passed down through her family.

Rach and I boogeying. Boogieing?


Spencer also showed up without a sweater. He got to wear my sweatshirt I wore last year that was made especially for me. Check out the W.


I LOVED Lauren's. It was a masterpiece. Shoulder pads, sequins, and beading.



i love this pic of us.

Lee had a tie that played music and a fabulous matching sweater. It brought tears of joy to my eyes.


Posed Mike. You can see the full effect of the tree here.

Posed Mike.


Candid Mike.

Linda should have gotten a prize for best headband.


Here's Cyrus' duck tape Christmas sweater. Robins and Brenda's were great too.

Brenda's looked like it was stolen out of the closet of my first grade teacher.


Jenny had a faublous cap.

Cam ebayed his for 2 bucks. Check out how ugly that is.



I don't know exactly what we were doing here, but i think we were dancing.



Bryce looks surprised. We were deep in conversation.

Now, for the awards ceremony:

Dave Alba won for his "most surpring" outfit. I would have never guessed the blue spandex.

He won a spiderman dinner set.


Susan, our second winner, won for my favorite christmas shirt.

Here she is explaining finding the shirt.


I love this pic of Cyrus grinning under the mistletoe. So classic. And a perfect candid shot of everyone else.

And there was much rejoicing.



Susan's Prize: Spaceball The Movie.

My brothers and mine favorite prize of the night.


It went to the lovely ghettofabulous ladies...

Wait for it...

CHICKENS!


Victory!



As the crowd looked on...


A random former missionary renunion spiced up the night. Check out Toni's sweater. SO good.


Lee, with the musical tie w/ reindeers won the big sled.


And the WINNAR...E. Michael Visser. He MADE his sweater out of tinsel, wire, little presents, bead strings, and even a little star at the top. It was simply stunning.

He won best in show.


Cam and I are telling him about how awesome his prize is. Cam was the one who spotted it in the store.


Ready?

Meet Darth Tater.




Here is where Mike started the improv acceptance speech. From Cam's and my face, you can tell it was quite hilarious.







My favorite picture of the sequence.



One more pic of Dave's butt. Sorry but it was too funny.



Sigh. It was such a great party, the party high has continued for me through this week. I had so much fun. Good times, good times. I can't wait till next year.

3 comments:

jocie said...

of course sarah schmidt stole the show. how much do i love her? so, SO, so much! this party makes me want to move to boston to hang out with the wheelers...

Lauren said...

this party had it all... from the ambiance, to the food, to the wassail and eggnog, to the music, to the ridiculously ugly-sweaters donning the myriad of guests! good job whitney's (i mean wheeler's)...haha!

ANJ said...

so at the beginning of reading this post, i was feeling sad for missing out on the pary. but in the end, i realized i didn´t miss out on it at all! thanks for the play by play :)