Thursday, October 12, 2006

Concert craziness.

The past two days I went to two incredible concerts. And mind you, I attend a lot of concerts. These two were amazing though. Seriously. Badly Drawn Boy's 2 hour set was mind blowing and I would place it in my top 5 concerts of all time. Minus the Bear is my all time favorite band to see live. They have such an incredible energy and their songs sound so rich when you have this 14 foot speaker blaring it instead of listening to it on my ipod.

I began to reflect during Badly Drawn Boy on Tuesday night why I love concerts so much. I think its because during the day I'm supposed to be ms. serious lawyer woman...traveling the country interviewing at these prestigious places and then at night I can act like a 10 year old girl. And I love that. I like being with that punk kid crowd. So the crowd was a little older at Badly Drawn Boy but at Minus the Bear, everyone was under 21. And I was in the front, elbowing, pushing and jumping around acting like an idiot while totally loving the music. I even took out my ear plug at times for minus because they sound so incredibly awesome live. How do I get all caught up in the music? I dont know. I have to say I was a little hesistant to bring my brother along to minus. After all, the last minus concert I went by myself and danced and sang like a ninny in the front row. This time would I have to act more subdued in front of my own flesh and blood? Thankfully I didn't. And my brother got me an awesome spot right in the front when he broke up a fight.

The past two nights when I got home from the concerts, I was so riled up I couldn't go to bed. Live music makes me go into this other worldly state of mind. I was also wondering to myself during Badly Drawn Boy if I would ever grow out of this. I mean, when I'm a mom am I going to be still following these bands? I don't think so...but I don't think its necessarily a maturity thing. Its just a I will have kids type of thing. haha.

And I"m so glad minus didn't disappoint. Back in August when Snow Patrol came and played in a huge venue, part of my heart broke that night. and I don't think its repaired still. I want my bands to stay small just so they play small venues. There is nothing more disappointing than when your favorite band sounds like garbage and you have to sit on a floor in a seat while they struggle through a set. Speaking of a band that can play the large venue and the small venue...the strokes. I just saw them in Salt Lake a couple weeks ago at a small club and I saw them in April in a huge venue in Boston. They translated their energy well.

okay this is TOTALLY rambling now.

And I have nothing to really sum it up with. But I know a lot of you out there understand what I mean about live music. And if you dont, then you need to go to more concerts and get rough with the crowd.

2 comments:

kt said...

face it: it's your destiny to be a rockstar

Mike Lau said...

Whit I'm still way jealous that you got to see Minus! It's not fair! And I do agree they are the best band to see live. Hands Down!