Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Slacker by choice

About a month ago I walked by a nerdy looking girl on Boylston with a t-shirt that read "Genius by Birth, Slacker by Choice." I snickered and loved it. And I wanted the shirt instantly.

I'm not saying I'm a genius. But lately I've been feeling like I might not be living up to my full intellectual/professional potential. I'd like to think I'm pretty smart and I know I can accomplish anything I'd really want to -- I feel like I could have been on law review, I could have been at the top of my class, I could have read every case and briefed it, I could have participated in moot court and done well, I could have ran for an editorial position on my current journal for this year, I could have researched for my note thoroughly and had it published, I could have attended every class, I could have taken copious notes and not been distracted by the internet, and basically, I could have been more involved in law school and studied harder.

But I didn't. And I'm not regretting it.

Sometime during my sophomore year at BYU, I realized that success with school/job/career wasn't going to be the end all, be all of my life. I realized that my self worth wasn't tied to my grades and I wasn't an unsuccessful person if I didn't go to a top medical school and become the person to cure cancer. I'm really glad I realized this in college as soon as I did. I find myself a much happier person when I have balance in my life. I've really enjoyed my time as a junior and senior at BYU and my time in law school (well 1st year was a little rough). I know that I need interactions with close friends and family often to make me happy. I know that I need to exercise or run 6 days a week to be happy. I know I need spiritual time in my life every day. I know I'm a much happier person when I get at least 8 hours of sleep. I know that its not worth it to me to sacrifice time for these good things to achieve better things in my scholarly life. I know that other people are able to achieve more and balance their lives just fine, but I'm content with my rich life full of other things besides intellectual achievements.

So although at first I was given crap at law school for not showing up to class, not reading, etc. etc., I now get heralded as a hero, almost on a daily basis for choosing other good things instead of class. Besides, next year when I'm a first year associate at a law firm, I'm going to dream of the day when I could skip class to track down baseball players and stay up late hot tubbing on the rooftops of Boston.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I'm with you homie. And I'm buying the tshirt!!

k8 said...

this is why we are friends Whit. i learned a long time ago that when i'm overachieving in one area, i'm often underachieving somewhere else. I like it when all my layers are getting some attention.

I love knowing that I'm doing my best-but I think sometimes you have to readjust what that actually means. I've found that being my best is often knowing when enough is enough.

NatAttack said...

I'm glad you're a slacker. It gives us more in common. And you're my most reliable g-Chatter!

Happy Thanksgiving!!! XOXO.

kt said...

agreed. I made the same choice at BYU and it has greatly increases my sanity and satisfaction in life.